Covent Garden is one of the most touristy and picturesque corners of London. It is known for its many outdoor cafes, shops, stalls, markets and street performers who try to make the walk more pleasant for passers-by.
Originally, the land on which Covent Garden stands was known as the Convent Garden, a farmland where vegetables were harvested to feed the monks of nearby St Peter's Convent. In 1540 the land was confiscated by King Henry VIII and given to the first Earl of Bedford, John Baron Russell. In 1632 the fourth Earl of Bedford began to build London's first modern public square here, surrounding it with luxury buildings for the wealthier population.
During the year of the Great Fire of London many merchants whose businesses were destroyed moved to Covent Garden, occupying almost the entire square. In 1830 a building was constructed in the centre to house a market. Decades later the Flower Market was added.
Today, despite major changes, Covent Garden has become one of London's most popular entertainment centres. It has a large number of shops, most of them located along Floral Street. There are also lively restaurants, pubs and bars where you can eat or have a drink.
Museum-lovers will find the London Transport Museum here, while theatre-goers are in luck, as Covent Garden is also home to the London Theatre Museum and the Royal Opera House.
Location: 41 Covent Garden Piazza.
Underground with a stop at Covent Garden station.
También te puede interesar leer:
- Information about London. Demographics of London
- Districts of London. Information about London.
- City Hall, London. Information about London
- Buckingham Palace, London. Information about London
- National Gallery, London
- Trafalgar Square, London
- Westminster Abbey, London
- Piccadilly Circus, London. Information about London
- Hyde Park, London.
- Soho, London.
- Chinatown, London. Information about London
- Palace of Westminster
- London Eye
- St Paul's Cathedral
- Tower of London
- Tower Bridge
- Big Ben.
- Health Care in the UK -¿Cómo es la asistencia sanitaria en Reino Unido?
- How can I obtain a NIN (National Insurance Number)?
- What documentation should I bring with me to the UK?
- Brexit FAQ - Frequently asked questions Brexit
- History of the flag of the United Kingdom
- Where to do language exchange in London
- How should I write the CV? - Practical advice on the CV
- The job interview - How to Prepare For an Interview